Hello there! Courtney here from The Wholesome Mama reviewing Women’s shorts and tanks this month. Mama needed to work on her summer wardrobe, so I was excited to sew a few things up.
First up are the shorts. I have been wanting to make a pair of these for a long time, but hesitated because I wanted to use linen for a nice clean look, and it can get pricey. I knew that I was going to need a muslin with these. Although it can be quite frustrating at times to spend the extra time and money making a pattern fit you just right, it will be so worth it in the end.
Surprisingly, these fit pretty well on the first try! I made a size XXXL for myself because my measurements were 42″ waist and 52″ hips and I am not sure if it is my fabric choice, as I used a loosely woven linen, but the finished result seems quite large and wide. I have a wide bottom and large thighs, so this is actually accommodating for me, but I feel like is just a tad excessive. Like I said before though, that is the beauty of a pattern and making it work for you.
If you need help sizing pants, go check out Jaime’s post from last week. Don’t fret it though! There are also a TON of tips and tricks on getting a good fit in the pattern instructions. I plan on trying a different fabric next time to see what the difference in fit might be… I have a nice twill ready to go!
The pattern itself was so incredibly easy and fast to sew. I chose to make the patch pockets in order to add a bit more detail to the front of these with the fold over yoga waistband. Next time I will make either the skinny or regular waistband though, because I feel the fold over places too much fabric in my midsection and makes it looks bulky. Despite there being a few things that I will change on my next attempt of this pattern, they are extremely comfortable and I have been wearing them non-stop!
I am going to be honest here and admit that the Free Spirit Tank is a wardrobe staple for me. I love the way that it fits my body and falls over my curves. It is amazingly comfortable and stylish as well!
The fabric that I used was a Rayon/Spandex blend which is just the perfect fabric for this shirt because it is light and drapey, and also holds it shape well. According to my measurements (46″ chest, 42″ waist and 52″ hips) I cut a 1X for the top and tapered out to the 2X for the hips and that works perfect here. Because I have a long torso (5’10”), I also decided to cut at the straight hem tunic line instead of adding length at the lengthen line which yielded a great length for me.
I love that there are so many hem options included in this pattern, however I have yet to branch out. I look forward to making many more of these in the future.
There are quite a few options in this pattern including single layer, double layer, straight hem, curved hem, crop top…I love all the different looks that you can create with this pattern. I chose to make the double tier, with curved hem crop top in an XXXL. The construction was very simple and hemming was a breeze as there are no bindings for the neck and arms here. I feel that the tank width was a little much at the shoulders, making them look a little more like a cap sleeve, but it works here and is definitely more modest. The finished result was very comfortable and I liked the extra layer to give it a little more appeal! The fit was almost perfect for me, however there are a few tweaks that I will make the next time, including narrowing the straps, and bringing up the armscye slightly.
I have had this pattern for quite a bit, but was scared of making it because of how tight fitting that it is supposed to be, hence the reason that it is called the “Layer Me Up”…sort of like a second skin. I knew that I was going to have to size up if I was planning on wearing this one solo. According to the size chart, I was going to need a 1X up top and taper to a 2X on the bottom. I decided to keep the top at the 1X, but tapered to the 3X. This worked very well for me. I could stand for it to have a little extra wiggle room, but I did use a cotton/jersey so there is a bit less stretch there than desired as well. Next time I will try it in a cotton/lycra and I am sure the fit will be just right. I can definitely see myself making a handful of these to wear under my shirts in the fall/winter.
Once again, this was a very quick sew. The bindings and hemming took me the longest to assemble…and let me tell you, I really like the hidden seam bindings and top-stitching with a double needle. Looks so profesh! 😉
I decided to go simple on this one, despite all the beautiful options. Honestly, I couldn’t decided which back to do and I was running out of time, so I just made a basic tank. The fit was great, but the fabric that I used was less than desirable for this project. It was a rayon bamboo, which turned out to be super drapey, yet clingy (in all the wrong areas). The directions were super simple and clear, and I made the XXL according to my measurements. I had a bit of extra fabric in back, above my bum, so for next time I will need to figure out how to make an adjustment for that. I look forward to making the tulip back version here soon if I can decided on some fabric.
If I learned anything this month, it is the importance in sewing for YOUR body. It is so important to realize that all body shapes and sizes are not the same, and you cannot expect a pattern to fit you perfect every time! Muslin, Muslin, Muslin <3
I look forward to seeing you again next month, and don’t forget to check out all the other reviews over the next week!