Hi! I’m Jaime from MadeByJaime here to share some resources for fitting pants!
(Quick Note – NONE of the links in this post are affiliate links and all picture sources can be found by clicking the picture itself)
I have been sewing for 19 years. I’ve worked in bridal a alteration room, a quilt shop, I used to sell sewing machines and have taught sewing classes on and off. I work with chiffon and satin, knits and wovens, but one thing I avoid like the plague is making myself pants. I know I’m not the only one because as The Pattern Exam members began to discuss possible pattern types for future sessions of The Pattern Exam, we all expressed similar fears and frustrations when Pants were mentioned!
I know my fitting issues…in non-technical terms. There are usually lines here, it’s too tight here and gaping there. My previous method for trying to fix it all was a machine gun method involving opening my pants fitting book, trying to find each individual problem and trying to fix them without much understanding about what was really going on. Lacking confidence that what I was doing was correct or helping in any way (or could it be creating more problems?!) I’d either
- Give up on fit and make the pants anyway, then never wear them because they were ill fitting.
- Give up on the project all together and go shopping, which, let’s be honest, can be just as frustrating.
So I’m on a mission to understand how to fit a pants pattern and I thought I’d share my resource list with you. If you’ve taken any of the online courses mentioned or used any of the books, please share your experience in the comments! I’d also love to know if I’ve missed something. Let’s help each other make some awesome pants!
Note: This is a compilation of available resources and not necessarily an endorsement. While I own one or two of these resources, I cannot vouch for them all. Please read the reviews before purchasing to determine the best resource for your needs.
- Jeans Fit Guide by MellySews
- The Colette Patterns Pants Fitting Cheatsheet
- Colette Pants Fitting Basics
- Create the Perfect Fit; Measuring and Pattern Fitting for Real Sewing Solutions by Joi Mahon
- Singer: Sewing Pants That Fit
- Sewing Pants for Women; A Guide to Perfect Fit by Else Tyroler
- The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting by Sarah Veblen
- Pants for Real People: Fit and Sew for Any Body by Marta Alto & Pati Palmer
- Pants for Real People: Fitting Techniques
- Jeans for Real People: Learn to Fit and Sew Jeans for your Body! by Marta Alto and Pati Palmer
- Fun with Fitting Pants by Sarah Veblen
- The Perfect Jeans: Fitting Techniques for Every Body with Jennifer Stern-Haseman
- One Pattern, Many looks: Pants with Kathy Ruddy
- Plus-Size Pant Fitting with Kathleen Cheetham
- Easy Fitting the Palmer/Pletsch Way: Pants with Pati Palmer & Melissa Watson
- Pant Fitting Techniques with Sandra Betzina
- Threads: Fitting Waist & Hips
So which one are you most excited about referencing?! And if you’ve taken some of the classes or own the books, which have been helpful and why? Did I miss any? We look forward to your input and keeping the conversation going so we can all successfully make pants that really fit. Stay tuned for next week as the next session of The Pattern Exam resumes!